Latest From Fort Hood On Killings : The Two-Way Latest updates from Army spokesman at Fort Hood.
NPR logo Latest From Fort Hood On Killings

Latest From Fort Hood On Killings

Army officials just briefed reporters at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas, where 13 people were killed and another 30 or so were wounded yesterday during a shooting rampage. Be sure to click your "refresh" button to see our latest updates.

9:15 a.m. ET. Also this morning, the commanding officer at Fort Hood spoke with The Today Show's Matt Lauer. Lt. Gen. Robert Cone confirmed that there are "first-hand" accounts that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great!") during the rampage:

Our earlier updates on the news conference:

7:48 a.m. ET: The briefing just wrapped up. If you scroll down and read "up", you can see things chronologically. A recap of key points: The number of wounded still in hospitals is now said to be 28, not 30 as previously reported by Army officials; it is still thought that the suspect, Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, acted alone; he remains in stable condition after being shot several times by a civilian police officer.

7:46 a.m .ET: The suspect was wearing his Army uniform during the rampage.

7:45 a.m. ET: "We had no problems with him (the suspect, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan" at the post, says Col. Steve Braverman.

Maj. Hasan. AP Photo/Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences hide caption

toggle caption
AP Photo/Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences

7:42 a.m. ET: All the wounded are in "stable condition."

7:40 a.m. ET: The soldiers at the scene were not armed. The "first responder" who wounded the suspect was a female police officer. She was wounded and is now in stable condition.

7:39 a.m. ET: One civilian was killed. The other fatally wounded victims were military personnel, Col. John Rossi says.

7:37 a.m. ET: The suspect's condition is "stable." Why was it originally said by Army personnel that suspect Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan was dead? "Confusion," says the briefer, Col. John Rossi.

7:35 a.m. ET: The post is operating at a "heightened level of security."

7:34 a.m. ET: About half of the wounded personnel required surgery.

7:33 a.m. ET: The number of dead remains at 13. Slight change in the number of wounded from earlier briefings -- Col. John Rossi puts that number at 28, though he may have meant that is the number still in hospitals. His exact meaning was unclear.