Skiers Stuck, Injured After Lift Accident In Maine : The Two-Way A resort spokesman tells CNN it hopefully will take less than two hours to get everyone done. At least a few people are reported to have been injured when their chairs fell.
NPR logo Update: Everyone Off The Chairlift At Sugarloaf Mt. In Maine; 6 Injuries

Update: Everyone Off The Chairlift At Sugarloaf Mt. In Maine; 6 Injuries

There's been an accident on a chairlift at Maine's Sugarloaf Mountain Resort and a it's being reported by a CNN staffer who's on the lift that more than 100 people are stuck right now in the air. Also: a few people may have been injured when the chairs they were riding fell to the ground.

Oh, and there are gusts of wind up to 60 mph, CNN says. So those folks are cold.

A Sugarloaf spokesman just told CNN that it hopefully will take less than two hours to get everybody down. One of the cables apparently derailed, the spokesman said.

Twitter's starting to light up with folks talking about this -- but so far no tweets from the scene. We'll be updating this post, so hit your "refresh" button to see our latest additions.

Update at 1:40 p.m. ET. Good news. The resort just reported that:

The six injured people "have been taken off the mountain" and "the remaining guests on the lift have all been successfully evacuated from the lift."

It adds that "as of now, the cause of the incident is still unknown and is under investigation."

Update at 12:55 p.m. ET: The resort is now saying there were six people injured in the incident, and that none of the injuries were life-threatening. The rescue operation continues. It also says that when the accident happened, around 10:30 a.m. ET, there were "an estimated 220 people on the lift." It's unclear whether the earlier reports of 100 or so being stuck were mistaken or whether many people were able to get off the lift on their own following the mishap.

Update at 12:18 p.m. ET: CNN's Rob Atkinson, who was among those trapped on the lift, is now on the ground. Rescue workers lowered him "easily and safely" via a rope and sling that had been thrown up over the cable. Atkinson says he had been suspended 30 or 40 feet above the ground.

From there, he and his wife Maureen (who was with him on the chairlift) skied down.

Update at 12:03 p.m. ET. On its Facebook page, the resort says:

"There has [sic] been approximately 8 injuries, with most appearing to be minor. Currently our ski patrol is responding to the incident and evacuating our guests from the lift."

Update at 11:55 a.m. ET. The local Sun Journal reports that:

"It was unclear  how many people were injured and how severely, but emergency radio traffic indicated the resort had requested a LifeFlight helicopter from Lewiston. The aircraft was unable to respond due to high winds in the mountains."

Update at 11:45 a.m. ET: For those who know the resort, the chairlift has been identified by CNN staffer Rob Atkinson, who is on the chair, as "Spillway East." And there are webcams at Sugarloaf. Click here to see them. The views seem to switch from one camera to another every few minutes, but one shot clearly shows a chairlift, in the distance, that appears to have stalled and around which there's a buzz of activity.

Update at 11:35 a.m. ET. The Associated Press now reports that:

"An official at a Maine ski area says people have been injured in an accident on a lift.

"Sugarloaf spokesman Ethan Austin calls Tuesday's accident 'a big deal.'' He tells the Associated Press that one of the ski lifts derailed and five chairs came down.

"He says the ski patrol is in the process of evacuating the lift. Austin says there have been reports of injuries, but he doesn't know their extent."