Grilled Steak with Herb Salad by Kim Severson
Adapted from Traci Des Jardins
For the Herb Salad (see Note):
1 cup per serving of frisee, baby arugula, sliced fennel, tarragon, chives or chervil, or other fresh tender herbs
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Grilled Steak:
Vegetable oil, for oiling grilling rack
4 (16-ounce) T-bone or rib-eye steaks, preferably grass-fed beef
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup packed fresh thyme stems
Fleur de sel
Salsa verde (recipe follows)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the salad greens. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Prepare a fire of mesquite charcoal; burn down until coals are white. Push the coals to the side of the cooking area. Clean the grill rack with a wire brush, then lightly oil the rack.
3. While the grill heats, season the steaks well on both sides with salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, garlic and thyme over very low heat. Set aside.
4. Place the steaks on the grill until seared, about 5 minutes. Flip the steaks over and brush with the herbed butter. Allow the steaks to sear again for a few minutes, then flip and brush again with the butter. Continue until the steaks are grilled to taste: 125 degrees on an instant-read thermometer for rare, 130 degrees for medium rare or 135 degrees for medium. (Grass-fed beef cooks more quickly than grain-fed beef.)
5. Remove the steaks from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before seasoning again and serving. Dress the salad with olive oil and vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve, thinly slice the steaks. Place a portion of salad in the center of each serving plate and surround with sliced steak. Sprinkle with a little fleur de sel, and garnish each plate with a spoonful of salsa verde.
Yield: 4 to 8 servings
Time: About 30 minutes, plus time for heating the grill
Note: The herb salad is made to the taste of the cook. Some will want more greens, others more herbs.
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons each finely chopped fresh chervil, chives and tarragon
1 shallot, minced
3 tablespoons chopped capers
3 tablespoons finely chopped anchovies
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with steaks.
Yield: 2 cups
Time: 15 minutes