Thousands of seniors graduated from colleges around the country in recent weeks. The traditional speeches from students to their classmates offer a view of the modern world through the eyes of those looking to put down new roots. We hear excerpts of speeches from students who spoke at their college commencements.
- Eric Nagy of Ithaca College in New York
- Neely Anne Crane-Smith at Macalester College in Minnesota
- Pamela Schiess at the University of Miami
- Cadet Captain Josh Skelly at The Citadel in South Carolina
- Lane Rettig at the University of California at Berkeley
- Casey Haugner of Tulane University in New Orleans
Most of this year's graduates started college after Sept. 11, 2001; while on campus, they also witnessed the beginnings of the war in Iraq; the 2004 presidential election; and the destruction that followed hurricanes Rita and Katrina. The student leaders have one thing in common: They have plenty of advice.