RENEE MONTAGNE, Host:
Fire officials in Bellevue, Washington are blaming a dog's glass water bowl for starting a fire that caused over $200,000 worth of damage to his home. The bowl was on the wooden deck of the home and when the sun hit the water, it acted like a magnifying glass. The deck and then the back of a house went up in smoke. The homeowners weren't home, but the dog, well, it was rescued.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.