Crews Work To Restore Power, And Explain The Delay Five days after Superstorm Sandy, crews in New Jersey are still working 14-hour days to restore power. Part of the job is cleaning each individual wire, and part is explaining what took so long to get the lights back on.
NPR logo

Crews Work To Restore Power, And Explain The Delay

  • Download
  • <iframe src="" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript
Crews Work To Restore Power, And Explain The Delay

Crews Work To Restore Power, And Explain The Delay

  • Download
  • <iframe src="" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript


Well, the power may be back in parts of Manhattan, but more than two and a half million customers elsewhere are still waiting. NPR's Kathy Lohr takes a look at why it's taking so long to restore electricity to the rest of the region.

KATHY LOHR, BYLINE: This storm packed a one-two punch. First, it flooded several switching stations, including one hidden under the New Jersey Turnpike in Newark.

ART TORTICELLI: The water level that rose was about to the top of the fence line here. You can see the debris on the fence. So it's about almost six-foot high that the water came through here.

LOHR: Art Torticelli with Public Service Electric and Gas, PSE&G, says the station was shut down during the storm, but water still got inside circuit breakers and other components. Among the cleaning tools is a wire brush about the size of a toothbrush.

TORTICELLI: Every one of these wires, all right, every one that you see has to come off and thoroughly cleaned. All right, dried, cleaned, reattached. So that's what we're doing now.

LOHR: These switching stations send power to substations, which in turn deliver it to homes and businesses. This one supplies 30,000 residential customers and a number of industrial ones.

SCOTT HALLAMIN: Let's pull over here, Mark. Pull over to the side.

LOHR: In Nutley, New Jersey, bucket trucks arrived on Montclair Avenue late yesterday. In this neighborhood, enormous trees fell on power lines, driving them into the ground. This is the second wallop from the storm, the hit on overhead lines. PSE&G supervisor Scott Hallamin outlined the damage with his crew.

HALLAMIN: Everything's down. All single phase is secondary. We got five poles to string wire on.

LOHR: New poles are up. And after four days without power, Hallamin's crew was here to connect the wires.

HALLAMIN: OK, let's start and work our way down.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: Start here, yup. All right.

HALLAMIN: How far down is it going?

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: It's going around the bend there.

LOHR: Ro and Joe Labate watch with anticipation on this brisk evening.

RO LABATE: I would make them coffee if I could.

JOE LABATE: There's too many of them, though.


LOHR: Hallamin also hears complaints, but he understands that customers don't see the total picture - how crews have to clear debris, check each line and work block by block to get the grids back up.

HALLAMIN: All these residents of Montclair will see is this part. That's all they know is Montclair Avenue.

LOHR: Hallamin says crews have been working 16-hour shifts since the storm hit, even with an extra 2,000 workers from outside the area to help.

HALLAMIN: They might see us sitting for a while, but we're waiting for a circuit or waiting for a tree crew or something might have happened to the truck where we have a flat tire like we had yesterday. You've got to explain it to them.

LOHR: Theresa Mercado lives on this block, and she knows this storm was unprecedented, but she says crews took too long to get here.

THERESA MERCADO: It just seems so slow, and thank God that the utility service is out today. But it's - nobody could help. I mean, there was literally no way in, no way out.

LOHR: Mercado says the utilities weren't prepared for this kind of damage. But Scott Hallamin says there's not much more they can do.

HALLAMIN: I work for the company and I'm out of power. So I know their pain, but what are you going to do?

LOHR: Around 10 o'clock last night, Mercado and the others on this block got their power back. PSG&E officials say they've restored service to more than one million customers, but 600,000 are still without power. Kathy Lohr, NPR News.

Copyright © 2012 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.