A Hero's Story From The Scramble To Survive On The USS Fitzgerald : Parallels On June 17, sailors were jolted awake as seawater surged in after a collision. They had minutes to escape. Seven didn't make it. One of them, Gary Rehm, saved a shipmate before he became trapped.
NPR logo

A Hero's Story From The Scramble To Survive On The USS Fitzgerald

  • Download
  • <iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/548718231/548985354" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript
A Hero's Story From The Scramble To Survive On The USS Fitzgerald

A Hero's Story From The Scramble To Survive On The USS Fitzgerald

  • Download
  • <iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/548718231/548985354" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript


Two separate Navy destroyers suffered deadly accidents recently in Asia. Altogether, 17 American sailors were killed. Congress is holding hearings about the accidents tomorrow. While the Navy is still investigating, it has released a report on the collision involving the USS Fitzgerald. It describes frantic efforts to escape and heroic actions by the sailors. NPR national security correspondent Greg Myre has the story.

GREG MYRE, BYLINE: Sailors on the USS Fitzgerald were jolted awake in their bunks. Some were thrown to the floor. It was 1:30 a.m. on June 17. Their guided-missile destroyer had just collided with a cargo ship off the coast of Japan. The result was a gaping hole in the living quarters two levels below deck and a rush of seawater.

JERRY HENDRIX: And it's not coming in gently. It's coming in in torrents. So there's currents, and it's beginning to swirl. So mattresses are being picked up. Pillows are picked up. Anything that's loose - tables, chairs - are beginning to swirl around.

MYRE: Jerry Hendrix is a retired Navy captain. He's now at the Center for a New American Security, and he studied the Navy's account of the collision.

HENDRIX: And it's all occurring in the dark. It's in chaos.

MYRE: Within one minute, water in the living quarters was waist-deep. Moments later, it would reach the ceiling. The report lays out how the sailors helped each other, though just one rescuer is mentioned by name - Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Rehm Jr.

ERIN REHM: He was always the first one to run to something.

MYRE: That's Erin Rehm, Gary's wife, speaking at the kitchen table of her in-laws, Gary's parents, in Williamsburg, Va.

E. REHM: It wasn't just his shipmates. I mean he was like that with everybody. Any of my friends were in trouble, you know, or needed something - oh, you have car trouble; let me see what I can do. Bring your car over. That's just what he did. He was Mr. Fix It.

MYRE: At 37, Rehm was a veteran on the ship. He called his younger shipmates his kids. Rehm invited them to holiday meals at his home. He was approaching 20 years of service, making him eligible to retire. He and Erin were talking about what he would do next.

E. REHM: He had the thought of being a fireman. I was like, why would you want to do that? You're going to get out of the Navy. Do something easy and not so, you know, life-threatening, you know? He wanted to make a difference.

MYRE: The Navy report says Rehm freed a shipmate trapped by a falling locker. That sailor made it to the ladder, leading to an open hatch above. At the ladder, two sailors helped him to safety. When the water reached neck-level, the pair climbed the ladder themselves. From the next level up, they stuck their arms into the murky water they had just escaped and grabbed a submerged sailor and then another. The Navy report described that last survivor as red-faced and choking on the salty water. By now, the water surging upward through the hatch presented a terrible dilemma. Jerry Hendrix explains.

HENDRIX: Fitzgerald is in trouble. She is in deep trouble. And if you don't seal that room, you risk losing the entire ship.

MYRE: Yet more sailors were in the water below. Sealing the hatch meant sealing their fate.

HENDRIX: You have to place the needs of the entire crew ahead of the needs of the individual sailors that - who may well be your friends. They may have been somebody that had the bunk that was next to you, and yet your responsibility at that moment is to seal that hatch.

MYRE: But now the next level up was flooding. The sailors climbed to the main deck and sealed the hatch.

HENDRIX: It's an awful burden as you consider that yours was the action that essentially made the final decision in those other sailors' lives. And yet, you know, those sailors were heroic in the sense that they ended up saving the entire ship and crew.

MYRE: Twenty-eight sailors escaped the living quarters. Seven did not. One was Gary Rehm. It's not clear what happened in his final moments, but Hendrix has a strong suspicion.

HENDRIX: What we do know is that he stopped down to save at least one sailor. There is a presumption that he is continuing with this task - to look elsewhere to find any other sailors that might be trapped.

MYRE: After the accident, Navy divers descended into the living quarters to recover the seven bodies. The last one they found in a bathroom clogged with wreckage was Gary Rehm. His parents, Gary Sr. and Anita Rehm, always worried about his safety.

GARY REHM SR: It's always dangerous in the military, so take your chances. As he would say, it's a big ship.

ANITA REHM: He always said, Mom, you worry too much. What's going to happen? I'm on a big ship. And we got to find out what happens on a big ship - two of them.

MYRE: Two of them - just nine weeks after the Fitzgerald's accident, the USS John S. McCain also suffered a large gash in a nighttime collision with a huge commercial ship in a congested Asian shipping lane. Ten sailors died in the flooded quarters below deck. So what's going wrong? Analysts have offered several theories - years of heavy demands, not enough training, poor fundamental seamanship. The Navy's top admiral, John Richardson, has ordered a comprehensive review of the way the Navy operates.

While away, Gary Rehm called his wife Erin daily.

E. REHM: The gist of our conversations were the same every day - how much I loved him and missed him. I mean it was just normal, silly conversation. We're just very goofy together, always laughing. I think there was probably about three I love you's before he hung up because that was pretty common for us.


MYRE: Rehm was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery on August 16. More than 36,000 people have signed a petition asking the Navy to name a ship in his memory. Greg Myre, NPR News, Williamsburg, Va.

Copyright © 2017 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.