DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
A patient in Germany had a combination of symptoms that was puzzling doctors for months: heart failure, blindness, swollen lymph nodes. He was referred to a diagnostic specialist, who happens to be a fan of the medical TV drama "House." The specialist was able to make a diagnosis based on an episode. The problem: cobalt poisoning from a hip replacement. The man is now OK, thanks to TV, though the attending doctor says a quick Internet search would have yielded the same diagnosis.
It's MORNING EDITION.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.