Puma's Pink And Blue Cleats Make A Bold Play At The World Cup Soccer players aren't the only ones battling on the pitch: Shoe brands are fighting it out as well. While Adidas and Nike dominate the market, Puma has a sneaky counterattack: mismatched shoes.

Puma's Pink And Blue Cleats Make A Bold Play At The World Cup

  • Download
  • <iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/324595722/324609155" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript

ARUN RATH, HOST:

An exciting day for U.S. soccer fans, the U.S. team tied with Portugal in a key World Cup match, leaving them very much in the hunt. Players aren't the only ones battling for supremacy on the pitch - shoe brands are too. It's the florescent Nike Vapors versus the Adidas Adizero battle pack cleats. And have you noticed those mismatched pink and blue shoes out of the field? That's Puma's counterattack. They're called the Tricks.

EDGAR SALAZAR: Well, Puma, personally, I think is one my favorite colors so far.

ARUN RATH, HOST:

Edgar Salazar is the store manager at Soccer Central in Torrance, California. He takes a break from watching the game to open up a box.

SALAZAR: Left shoe, turquoise white.

RATH: These are the cheaper versions of the Tricks - the $60 evoSPEED's. He says they aren't selling all that well. But as for the $200 evoPOWERs, the ones you see on TV.

SALAZAR: We are actually sold out of those. We couldn't keep them on the shelf.

RATH: Probably because players like Italy's superstar Mario Balotelli are sporting them on soccer's biggest stage. When he scored his goal against England.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED SOCCER ANNOUNCER: Goal, Italia - Mario. Mario. Mario.

RATH: He was wearing a pair of the blue and pink Tricks. Kyle Stock from Bloomberg BusinessWeek says on a green field, Pumas cleats really pop.

KYLE STOCK: I mean, you see a lot of yellows out there and oranges and reds - but in the blur of the feet, you notice it.

RATH: And these cleats, we should call them, they're called the Tricks - the Puma Tricks.

STOCK: The Tricks. Yeah, evoPOWER Tricks. You know, Adidas has the Adizero F50 - it sounds like a sports car or something. Tricks is a little more approachable.

RATH: Is there a risk in that though? I'm just talking about the mismatched shoes in particular 'cause that could be a goofy thing to try to get people to pass off as hip.

STOCK: Yeah, I think think it's polarizing, but I think they have these players playing in the shoes before they're actually on the market so it's almost validated from the outset. They're committed to this sort of zany color scheme, but it's the only one that you really have. So Adidas will make top-of-the-line cleats in a number of different colors and patterns. And Puma is pretty much just doing the blue and the pink, which from a supply chain perspective makes doing business much easier.

RATH: Obviously, Nike and Adidas are far ahead of Puma. But could you give us a sense of the scale here? How far behind is Puma in terms of, you know, their share of the sportswear market?

STOCK: Nike does about a $25 billion a year in sales. Adidas does about $19 million. Puma does about $4 billion. And then in terms of soccer, it's widely considered that Nike and Adidas have about 70 percent of the soccer market. And then that remaining 30 percent is split between Puma and a bunch of other brands that are in the space.

RATH: You said they've been very savvy with their marketing. Why haven't I seen any Puma Tricks commercials on ESPN?

STOCK: Puma has said very publicly, if we advertise during the World Cup, we'll just get drowned out. So their strategy to advertise after the World Cup - a lot of that noise dies down and then it's a little closer to back-to-school season when kids are going to be bugging their parents for a new pair of cleats. So you will see Puma ads. You probably won't see them, though, until after the World Cup.

RATH: Kyle Stock is an associate editor at Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Kyle, very interesting. Thank you.

STOCK: Thanks very much.

Copyright © 2014 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.