Man Bitten by Stowaway Snake A man in Virginia returned home from a trip, started to unpack and was bitten by a rattlesnake that was in his duffel bag. He managed to zip the bag back up and call 911 — and is now recovering. How the snake — identified as a deadly canebrake rattler — got in his bag is still a mystery.

Man Bitten by Stowaway Snake

  • Download
  • <iframe src="" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript


So you get home from a trip to South Carolina, you plop down your duffel bag, and the next day you start to unpack it, and wham, you're bitten by a rattlesnake.

That was Andrew Bacas' rude homecoming in Arlington County, Virginia this week. Mr. Bacas is a high-school crew coach. He'd just driven back from a spring break conditioning trip when he got bitten. He had the presence of mind to quickly re-zip his bag with the snake inside, and then he called 911.

After a trip to the hospital and some anti-venom, he's now recovering. As for the snake, rescue workers decided to freeze it. They used a 10-foot pole to unzip the bag a bit, and then they inserted the nozzle of a fire extinguisher. The remains were identified as a canebrake rattlesnake, one of the deadliest in this country.

Fortunately from Mr. Bacas, it was a juvenile whose venom doesn't pack the wallop of an adult. Now, how the snake hitched a ride in Andrew Bacas' luggage remains a mystery.

Copyright © 2008 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.